Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Friday, January 28, 2005

More on Bikes

There really are just two kinds of people in the world. There are bike people and people who aren’t bike people. If you don’t already know I am among the former. I just can’t figure out how you non-bike people do it. How do you get around? Do you walk? Do you drive everywhere? Tell me how you do it. I really want to know.

Outside of this particular coffee shop there are only three bikes roped up to the hitching post but I can see well over 30 people inside. I suppose everyone could have walked here from their offices; there are dozens within one or two blocks. Everyone could have walked but I doubt if they would have bothered to make the two block detour to go past the inner-city dog park of 3rd and Battery—or the dog zoo as I call it. Today a huge Saint Bernard was horsing around with a Jack Russell Terrier. I never pass up a chance to go look at the dogs.

Driving downtown is all but unthinkable as parking is always a problem. The buses are a good way to get around and they are free in the downtown area of Seattle—inside the free-ride zone as it is called. Walking is a good way to get around but I’m not much of a walker. Walking is a little too slow for me. I can get more exercise on my bike by riding fast. I’m definitely not much of a runner and running as transportation gets you too worked up. I can ride 30 mph and then coast for a block to cool down and barely break a sweat.

I wouldn’t give you $100 for all three bikes leaning against the bike rack outside. Mine is about a ten year old Canondale I bought for $150 a couple years ago. I purposely bought a crappy bike to lower the theft threat. I would never dream of riding my racing bike around town for transportation. That would be like using a thoroughbred to plow a field.

The best thing about bikes is that they are a fucking blast. I never get on my bike without having some fun. I think it is one aspect of childhood play that I have never relinquished as I grew into adulthood. Besides the great fitness benefits of cycling I think that the recreation aspect of riding has kept me youthful in outlook. I rarely get hassled by cops no matter how lawlessly I pedal around Seattle, and the meter maids have no jurisdiction over my life. And did I mention that it’s fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.