Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Monday, February 02, 2009

Super Easy Pizza Sauce

Super Easy Pizza Sauce

1 Onion
3 Cloves Garlic
½ Cup Red Wine
1 16 oz. Can Whole Tomatoes (entero) (I mush the tomatoes with my hands)
1 16 oz. Can Tomato Puree (triturado)
1 Small Can Tomato Paste (doble concentrado)
Olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, 2 bay leaves, pinch of sugar

Sauté onions and garlic until translucent, then add spices. Add wine and allow for most of the wine to evaporate. Add the other ingredients and simmer for about two hours. The sauce should be fairly thick and it will thicken even more after you let it cool.


I learned this simple recipe years ago and I still find it makes an excellent pizza sauce. Most pizza joints have terrible sauce that tastes like it came right out of a can, which it probably did. If you are going to do something, do it right. That's what I was always told. If I am going to pay someone to make a pizza for me I expect them to make it at least as well as I would at home if I had the time.

We are all forced to take shortcuts in life, but sometimes you have to stop and ask yourself just what you are doing with the time you are saving. There are things more important than food—I suppose. I just think that most of those more important things can wait until after you've had a good meal.

I have to say, this sauce is absolute perfection. No kidding. I can't see why I would change a thing about this recipe. It's not just a pizza sauce. I bought some ready-made meatballs from Mercadona. I used to think that they had too much filler in them but I have grown quite fond of them. I placed them in my clay baking dish and put them in the oven along with a tray of potatoes. I perforated the potatoes with a fork, lathered them with olive oil, and salted liberally. If you are going to turn on your oven you may as well cook a couple of things at once. When the meatballs were done I tossed them in some of the sauce. Then I put the meatballs and sauce on a baguette with some fresh mozzarella cheese and threw that in the oven. A meatball sub and a baked potato—I guess I'm still an American after all.

P.S. The cold baked potatoes are great on a salad which is why I will cook a bunch at a time.