Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Another Day, Another Bicycle

It's not a girl's bike, goddammit!

After the theft of my bicycle about three weeks ago I am now the owner of four bikes. I just picked up this cool city bike at a pawn shop (casa de empeƱos) for 60€. I have to say that I am extremely happy with this purchase. This bike is exactly what I have wanted ever since I moved here. It is perfect except that I have to get a basket for the handle bars. I wanted this type of bike for my shorter trips around Valencia. I needed a bike to use as my workhorse, so to speak, something not too expensive and easy to get around on. It’s kind of clumsy riding it; sort of like switching from a rally car to a station wagon. It is heavy as hell so I’m glad that Valencia is completely flat. Even humping up out of the river park will be interesting on this hog.

Now all that I have to do is fix up the racing bike that was given to me and my stable of bikes will be complete.

P.S. After actually riding my new bike around I would have to say that it is a bit like navigating an oil tanker (not that I have ever navigated an oil tanker, I can only imagine). As far as I am concerned it isn't the most ergonomic riding position but I still think it's a cool bike. The step-in (i.e. girl's bike) frame is nice if you happen to be wearing real clothes instead of athletic atire. A front basket is going to cost me another 15€.