Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Herbal Medicine

I’ve never been much of a drug taker, at least not for medicinal purposes.  When my dentist gave me antibiotics after pulling a wisdom tooth I didn’t take them. I’ve never taken antibiotics.  I rarely take even aspirin so this issue I have with my knee is something new for me. I don’t know if the problem will persist or if the pain will be a constant companion.  All I know is that I don’t want to be taking drugs to treat it. The possible side effects for even aspirin can be fairly toxic. The list of possible side effects for Diclofenac is rather terrifying: stomach ulcers, intestinal bleeding, indigestion, etc. Intestinal bleeding? Even though I have a cast iron stomach I’d rather try a natural remedy.

Ginger has been proven to be an effective treatment for arthritis although you don’t hear much about it. I suppose the drug companies would rather not let this type of news see the light of day. I haven’t read about any adverse side effects from taking ginger.   

I started taking ginger root today and so far I haven’t had a problem with my knee. This morning I boiled a cup of water and added some powdered ginger I had with my spices. Later I went out and bought a nice big root and chopped up a thumb-sized chunk and added it to my soy milk and fruit shake. Drugs are actually cheap here in Spain and for most of them you don’t need a doctor’s prescription but they aren’t as cheap as ginger root.

I’ll soon see if this works or not for easing the inflammation in my knee and the subsequent pain.