Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Un Franco, 14 Pesetas




One review of this charming film was titled “When Paradise was Called Switzerland” because a lot Spaniards went there to find work back in the Franco era (although the title refers to the Swiss currency). I almost missed last night’s football match between league leaders Barça and Atlético de Madrid because I was in the middle of this movie. I dragged myself away but hurried back. A lot of the film parallels my own experiences as a sort of tourist-immigrant and the bitter-sweet pull between home and adopted country. I suppose that one day I, too, will be longing for Spain and saying, “Daría lo que fuera por estar en la Gran Vía tomándome una caña y viendo pasar gente.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice, say it here.