Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Bike Theft Is a Crime? Who Knew?

Imagine if cars were stolen at the same rate as bikes and we did virtually nothing to punish the thieves. In every city where I have lived I don’t think that the police considered bike theft a crime, or at least not one worthy of their attention. This is why you see the rather pathetic practice of people buying locks that are worth more than the bikes they are vainly trying to protect. I have a city bike that I paid 60€ for and I use two locks worth 90€ to try to keep it in my possession. The city of San Francisco has come up with a bold, entirely revolutionary plan: they are actually trying to prevent people from stealing bikes! The plan is just crazy enough that it may actually work.

The people who choose to ride a bike instead of driving are doing society a favor. The very least that we can do is to protect their property.

2 comments:

  1. I LIKE IT. I HAVE BIKES THAT COST MORE THAN SOME OF THE CARS IN MY DRIVEWAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I have never heard of the police anywhere giving a shit about bikes being stolen.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say something nice, say it here.