Quantcast

Important Notice

Special captions are available for the humor-impaired.

Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Summer Tomatoes




Here’s a little something that the fancy food bloggers don’t want you to know: the best thing you can eat right now is a salad of summer tomatoes, at least where I live. I went to a lunch the other day at a friend’s house and there was an impressive amount of food all made with care and skill yet for me nothing could top the tomato salad with a bit of chopped garlic and olive oil. I have favored the tomatoes of the Mediterranean since I lived in Greece 30 years ago and good tomatoes have always been something I look for wherever I have lived.

At the one of the corner vegetable shops the other day I bought two small bags of tomatoes, one of higher quality to eat in a salad and the others I planned to use in a sauce. The sauce tomatoes didn’t look too appetizing as they had irregularities and wouldn’t win any prizes in a contest. The higher quality tomatoes were a bit green and would need a day or so to ripen so I cut up one of the ugly tomatoes to eat today. I cut it roughly, added a pinch of salt and a few drops of olive oil and it was delicious. For this photo I added some chopped garlic, a few olives, and some freshly cut basil (I have a couple plants on my little balcony).

This is about as good as food gets. Of course, there are endless variations on this tomato salad theme. You can add a few spoons of canned tuna, red onions macerated in vinegar, or whatever you have in the kitchen. Top this off with a piece of bread and a glass of wine and you have a meal you’d be thrilled with in a restaurant.